Thursday, July 15, 2010

SQL Reporting using Visual Studio 2005

Dear all,
I was in need to develop a report using SQL reporting. I started with VS 2005 but could not ind report project to start with.
I was little confuse, I went through some blogs and googled how to add "Business Intelligence Project" templates to VS 2005.
I applied many things but none of them worked, later I found installing with workgroup components from SQL server and now I was able to find it.
I developed the report and it was working fine. I also needed ReportViewer to render the report.
So I added an assembly Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForm(10.0.0.0) and i got report viewer as well. Soon after this, I started getting run time JavaScript error like.

1. the base class includes the field 'ScriptManager1', but its type (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager).
2.I get the 'Sys' is undefined Javascript error whenever I place a ScriptManager object to my page.
3. Client side framework failed to load ASP.NET ajax

The resolution after doing R&D came the application should be Ajax enabled. I was surprised why a ReportViewer requires an Assembly System.Web.Extension(3.5.0.0) and why the application web.config file should have all settings defined as defined for Ajax enabled site.

I am frustrated now, after searching a lot I could not find anything good so I decided to develop a crystal report. That day, I left my office little soon and after reaching home, I discussed this annoying issues with my friends that why a ReportViewer needs System.Web.Extension assembly. They said that they will also try to do it.

It was a fresh morning for me. I asked my lead to give me some time before we switch to Crystal report. Let me analyse the issue.
I undo the changes and started from beginning, The following blog helped me a lot to understand why it was causing issues and what was required to solve all those issues.
So finally if you don't want to use ajax enables website and want to use report viewer to display report. Use 8.0.0.0 version of Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll.
Installing the Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms assembly for MS Visual Studio 2005 and MS Visual Studio 2008

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/assembly-Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.aspx

You need to installed Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005

This redistributable package contains Windows Forms and ASP.NET Web server control versions of the Report Viewer.

And refer the

Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll(8.0.0.0)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll(8.0.0.0)


I hope you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment